5. How does the court determine about the custody of children?

The process for divorce begins by filing a document in the court i.e. Complaint Paper or Petition or Firad Patra. Your spouse will be given a certain number of days (21 days) to respond to the Complaint. How the case proceeds from there will depend upon how your spouse responds. You and your spouse may reach an agreement, your spouse may file a response (either agreeing to what you’ve requested in the Complaint or contesting it), or may not reply at all. Once your spouse responds, the court will set a date for either a hearing for temporary court orders or mediation. Other documents may also need to be filed, most commonly financial statements and properties. Things can become quite complicated in a contested case, with numerous documents being filed and custody of the children.